Close Menu
Tampa Accident Attorneys > Tampa Car Accident Lawyer > Can I Sue if I’m Hit by a Drunk Driver?

Can I Sue if I’m Hit by a Drunk Driver?

Drinking and driving is a danger to everyone on the road, and you may have found this out firsthand. If you’ve been hit by a drunk driver, you may be hurt, struggling to overcome the costs of your injuries, and traumatized by the experience.

You may also have questions about your claim, like, “Can I sue if I’m hit by a drunk driver?” You may have grounds to sue, and contacting a Tampa drunk driving accident lawyer from Anderson & Anderson first can help your claim. They can give you the guidance you need and represent you in court when you’re hurt.

Criminal and Civil Claims

When you’re hurt by a drunk driver, that driver may be facing criminal charges as well as your civil lawsuit. That makes things a little confusing—they may go to trial for driving under the influence in Tampa, but you won’t receive compensation from the criminal trial, even if they’re found guilty.

You instead need to talk with your drunk driving accident lawyer in Tampa about suing the at-fault driver after the court case has settled. Even if they’re found not guilty of criminal charges, they may still be found at fault for your injuries.

Compensation for A Drunk Driving Accident

You should be fairly compensated for your injuries after the car accident. Luckily, you can seek compensation for your losses caused by the accident, or damages, in court. These damages should cover the financial losses you’ve suffered, as well as the nonfinancial or non-economic damages you’ve suffered. This second type of damages is intangible, so you may need a lawyer’s help to calculate them.

Not sure what compensation you’re eligible for? Talk to your lawyer if you’ve suffered any of the following damages:

  • Medical bills
  • Lost income
  • Property damage
  • Pain and suffering
  • Emotional trauma

Talk to a Lawyer if You’re Hit by a Drunk Driver

If you’re hurt by a drunk driver, you may need compensation to recover from the injuries you’ve suffered. Luckily, the lawyers at Anderson & Anderson can help when you’re asking, “Can I sue if I’m hit by a drunk driver?” When you’re ready to get started with a free consultation, reach out by calling 813-251-0072 or by completing the online contact form below.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn