Some interesting statistics about distracted driving
This blog has previously reported on the ongoing problem of distracted driving in Tampa, Florida.
When people think of distracted driving, the first thing that may come to mind is a person talking on his or her phone, checking email or sending an instant message.
However, there are in fact all kinds of distracted driving behaviors that can cause serious car accidents.
For instance, among both men and women, the most commonly self-reported behavior was changing radio stations, adjusting the volume of the music and the like. Almost half of all drivers surveyed by a group dedicated to preventing distracted driving admitted to engaging in this behavior.
Another common distracted driving behavior was adjusting one’s GPS, with 25 percent of drivers reporting this behavior. Indeed, this is not surprising since people rely on their GPS to get where they are going should they be traveling on unfamiliar roads or to a new location. Still, the behavior takes a driver’s eyes and mind off of the road and is potentially dangerous.
When it come to the more commonly recognized types of distracted driving, it was interesting that many more women who took part in the survey admitted to talking on the cell phone while trying to drive. On the other hand, men were more prone to sending and receiving text messages, and they were also more prone to using their phone in other ways, perhaps for a quick check of their email.
Whatever the exact nature of the behavior is, though, any activity which diverts a driver’s attention from the road can leave other motorists and pedestrians seriously injured or even dead. In these sorts of cases, victims may be eligible to receive compensation from the responsible party.
- Three Reasons to Call a Car Accident Lawyer in Tampa
- Can I Sue for a Dockless Scooter Accident in Tampa?
- Biltmore Smoked Sockeye Salmon recalled over listeria concerns
- Can I Sue the Drunk Driver Who Caused My Crash in Florida?
- Altaire Pharma recalls ophthalmic products over sterility issues
- One dead, another hurt in fatal dump truck crash in Florida
- Can a Parent Sue for a Child’s Injuries in Florida?
- What to Do when Hurt on Someone Else’s Property
- Can I Recover Compensation after a Hit-and-Run Accident?
- Florida Car Accident Lawsuit Timeline