Distracted drivers are deadly on Florida roads
In spite of the Florida Legislature’s attempts to beef up laws against using electronic devices behind the wheel and make enforcement easier, distracted drivers continue to plague the Sunshine State’s streets, roads and highways. The scourge of distracted driving results in car accidents, as well as other types of crashes, causing serious injury, and even death. One of the things that makes distracted driving difficult to police is that it is not always related to the use of mobile devices.
Anything from changing a radio station or eating to checking on a child in the back seat can be just distracting enough to cause an accident. If a motorist is distracted in any way from the operation of their vehicle, they are a distracted driver. For these reasons, state laws and law enforcement struggle with protecting other motorists, pedestrians and cyclists from the dangers posed.
A tragic example occurred recently when a bicyclist was critically injured in a distracted driving accident in Zephyrhills. The cyclist was struck by an SUV driven by a woman who had two young children as passengers. The driver of the SUV, according to police, was distracted for a moment and did not see the bicycle before hitting it.
Anyone who has been injured in an accident caused by a distracted driver may be entitled to compensation for their injuries, medical expenses and damaged property. Unless there is evidence or the driver admits to being distracted, such cases can sometimes be hard to prove. For this reason, accident victims may need to get more information about their options such cases.
Source: Tampa Bay Times, “Bicyclist critically injured by distracted driver in Zephyrhills,” TyLisa C. Johnson, March 26, 2018
- Three Reasons to Call a Car Accident Lawyer in Tampa
- Can I Sue for a Dockless Scooter Accident in Tampa?
- Biltmore Smoked Sockeye Salmon recalled over listeria concerns
- Can I Sue the Drunk Driver Who Caused My Crash in Florida?
- Altaire Pharma recalls ophthalmic products over sterility issues
- One dead, another hurt in fatal dump truck crash in Florida
- Can a Parent Sue for a Child’s Injuries in Florida?
- What to Do when Hurt on Someone Else’s Property
- Can I Recover Compensation after a Hit-and-Run Accident?
- Florida Car Accident Lawsuit Timeline