Tampa Surgical Error Lawyer
Sometimes surgical procedures are considered minor, but the truth is that every surgery is major. When a doctor has to perform a surgical procedure, it should never be taken lightly. Mistakes can happen at any time, and they can cause serious injuries and even death.
Surgical errors are a type of medical malpractice. Fighting these cases is very difficult because courts tend to side with the doctors. You need aggressive legal representation on your side if you want a fighting chance. Count on the Tampa surgical error lawyers at Anderson & Anderson to help you achieve the outcome you deserve for your damages.
Examples of Surgical Errors
There are many types of errors that can happen to a patient during surgery. They include the following:
- Performing an incision at the wrong location
- Operating on the wrong body part
- Operating on the wrong patient
- Damaging a nerve during surgery
- Anesthesia errors
- Medication errors
- Leaving something inside a patient (sponges or surgical instruments, for example)
Causes of Surgical Errors
Surgical errors can happen in various ways, including the following:
- Incompetence. While many doctors are highly skilled and experienced, some do not know how to perform certain procedures successfully. It is possible for a surgeon to be incompetent, although this may sound strange to many people.
- Poor planning. Surgeons need to be well-prepared for surgery. This includes reviewing the patient’s medical history and ensuring all the necessary equipment and medications are available.
- Poor communication. The nurse or surgeon should communicate with the patient to ensure no mistakes happen. They should confirm the correct surgical site. There should also be communication about the required equipment and medications. With proper communication, you can prevent serious injuries.
- Taking shortcuts. Sometimes surgeons may try to save time by trying to eliminate certain steps from a surgical procedure. However, some steps are necessary and taking shortcuts can be a costly mistake.
- Neglect. Sometimes surgeons are negligent. Sometimes they’re in a hurry and not as careful as they should be. They may not properly sterilize their instruments or they may rush through procedures, causing harm to patients.
- Fatigue. Fatigue is common among surgeons, who tend to work long shifts—sometimes longer than 20 hours. Exhaustion can cause a person to make dangerous mistakes, and surgeons are no exception.
- Drug/alcohol use. Stress is common in medical environments, and sometimes surgeons turn to drugs and alcohol to cope. Shockingly, some even operate while under the influence, and this can lead to poor judgment.
Contact Our Tampa Surgical Error Lawyers Today
Surgeries are no minor procedures. They all have risks involved and it’s always possible for your surgeon to make a mistake. Remember, doctors are human, too.
If you were injured by a surgical error, make sure the doctor is held accountable. Medical malpractice cases can be complex and tricky, so don’t handle them on your own. Seek legal help from the Tampa surgical injury lawyers at Anderson & Anderson. To schedule a free consultation, call 813-251-0072 or fill out the online form.