Tampa Grocery Store Slip and Fall
Going to the grocery store is often an unexciting experience. You get in, get your groceries, check out, and leave. Some customers, however, end up with a lot more than what they bargained for. They may end up slipping and falling on a substance, causing significant long-term injuries.
Grocery stores are prime areas for slips and falls, since the shelves carry liquids such as water, milk, and juices. Not to mention, there are also laundry detergent, dish soap, and other slippery chemicals. Plus, many stores have coffee shops inside, which means customers may be spilling coffee as they shop.
Causes of Injuries
What can cause slips and falls in a grocery store? Besides liquids, here are some common causes:
- Newly waxed floors
- Items falling from shelves
- Damaged grocery carts
- Improperly positioned floor mats
- Faulty entrance and exit doors
- Obstructed aisles from boxes and pallets
- Uneven pavement outside on sidewalks and in parking lots
Types of Injuries
Slips and falls at grocery stores can lead to a wide range of injuries, including:
- Broken or cracked pelvis or hips
- Fractured wrists, arms, or legs
- Fractured skull
- Traumatic brain injuries such as concussions
- Back and spinal cord injuries
- Cuts, bruises, and other head wounds
Vulnerable populations such as children and seniors can especially get injured badly in a slip and fall accident. They can suffer debilitating head injuries and other injuries that can be disabling.
What to Do After a Slip and Fall
After a slip and fall in a grocery store, you need to take the proper steps to protect your legal rights. Follow these steps:
- Seek medical care. Even if you feel fine, you could be seriously injured. Go see a doctor right away to get fully checked out. Some injuries don’t appear for days or weeks, so the sooner, the better.
- Document the incident. What caused you to slip and fall? Identify the case and document as much as you can. Where and when did it happen? Take note of all the details now so you don’t forget them later. Take photos as well.
- Ask for security surveillance video. If the accident was caught on video, this may provide enough evidence for your case.
- Get witnesses. Gather the contact information of anyone who witnessed your slip and fall. Their testimony can be very helpful to your case.
- File a report. Tell a manager about the accident so you can file a report.
- Contact an attorney. A lawyer can determine liability and help you obtain compensation for damages.
Contact Us Today
If you’re not careful, a trip to the grocery store could end with a trip to the ER. If you have been involved in a grocery store slip and fall, make sure you take the proper steps.
The Tampa personal injury lawyers at Anderson & Anderson can help you with the legal process after a slip and fall accident. Let us help you get the compensation you need for injuries and other damages. Our knowledge and experience can help you get a favorable outcome. To schedule a consultation with our office today, call 813-251-0072 or fill out the online form.