What types of damages can be awarded in wrongful death claims?
People who have lost a loved one in a fatal accident know that there is no way to undo the loss or truly compensate them for the loss. Undoubtedly, the grief and sadness can be overwhelming and it can be very difficult to cope. However, the fact is that a loss can and often does take a financial toll on surviving family members as well. This can make the situation even more stressful and upsetting, which is why many people consider taking legal action.
While the money that can be awarded in a wrongful death claim cannot replace a loved one, it can ease some of the anxiety that many people struggle with in the aftermath of a loss. In accordance with Florida wrongful death statutes, there are numerous damages that can be awarded in these types of claims.
State law allows family members to pursue damages related to:
- Loss of services and support
- Loss of companionship
- Loss of protection
- Loss of parental instruction
- Loss of earnings
- Medical expenses
- Funeral costs
- Pain and suffering
These are just some of the damages that may be available. There may be others, depending on the details of your case.
While money may be the last thing on your mind after the death of a loved one, it can and often does have a dramatic impact on survivors. Taking legal action to not only hold the appropriate party accountable but also pursue compensation can make it a little easier for people to find some closure.
It can be extraordinarily difficult for family members to try and calculate all the ways their lives have been affected by the death of a loved one. Because of this and the legal complexities of these cases, it can be wise to have the support of an attorney who can help guide families through this complicated but important process.
- How to Win Your Personal Injury Claim
- Can I Sue for Misdiagnosis of Coronavirus?
- 5 Ways a Tampa Personal Injury Lawyer Can Help You
- Back Pain After Tampa Car Accident: Can I Sue?
- Can I Sue for a Minor Injury in Florida?
- Questions to Ask a Tampa Personal Injury Lawyer
- Dangerous Intersections in Tampa
- What to Do When an Auto Insurer Makes You a Low Offer
- Three Reasons to Call a Car Accident Lawyer in Tampa
- Can I Sue for a Dockless Scooter Accident in Tampa?