Tampa is the home to the country’s deadliest highway
Interstate 4 in the Tampa area is, at least according to one report, the deadliest major highway in the country. This route, which runs across Florida from Tampa through Orlando and over to Daytona Beach, reportedly experienced 165 traffic deaths over a recent five-year period. Since the highway is only 122 miles long, this translates to 1.25 deaths per mile of highway.
While Orlando, not Tampa, was the worst city on this route when it came to traffic deaths, this statistic should still serve as a wakeup call to area drivers about how important it us for them to mind their speed while on the highway and to be sure to remain alert and attentive at all times while on the road. Not doing so can easily cause a fatal car crash.
Unfortunately, Florida is a home for several other deadly highways as well. Interstate 95, which runs up the eastern coast of Florida, recorded .730 deaths per highway mile, with Jacksonville being the deadliest stretch of that highway. Interstate 10, which crosses the Florida panhandle, also is one of the country’s deadliest highways, as is United State Highway 192.
Exactly why these highways have such a bad track record for fatal accidents was not explained in detail by this study, but in most cases, the deadly accident happened when car struck another. With respect to multiple vehicle collisions, the responsibility for the accident usually lies with one of the drivers of the cars involved.
Of course, losing a loved one in a highway accident is costly both financially and emotionally. Those in this state who have suffered the loss of a relative may be able to pursue compensation from the responsible party through a wrongful death claim.
Related Posts: Family of woman killed by garbage truck files lawsuit, Teen killed by driver fleeing the scene of a prior crash, Four killed in Florida car crash, Doctors must be careful when diagnosing conditions
- Can I Sue for a Minor Injury in Florida?
- Questions to Ask a Tampa Personal Injury Lawyer
- Dangerous Intersections in Tampa
- What to Do When an Auto Insurer Makes You a Low Offer
- Three Reasons to Call a Car Accident Lawyer in Tampa
- Can I Sue for a Dockless Scooter Accident in Tampa?
- Biltmore Smoked Sockeye Salmon recalled over listeria concerns
- Can I Sue the Drunk Driver Who Caused My Crash in Florida?
- Altaire Pharma recalls ophthalmic products over sterility issues
- One dead, another hurt in fatal dump truck crash in Florida