First Nine Steps To Take After A Car Accident
If you’ve been involved in a car accident, you can take a number of important steps to protect your well-being and your rights. At Anderson & Anderson, our Tampa car accident attorneys explain the first nine steps:
- Before doing anything else, make sure you and your passengers are safe. It is important to determine if you or anyone in your vehicle has been injured. If you or someone has been injured, immediately call for medical assistance before doing anything else.
- Even if nobody in your vehicle seems to have been seriously injured, it is important to stay safe. If you’ve been involved in an accident on a busy highway or road, make sure to stay with your car and out of harm’s way until the police arrive.
- Once you’ve determined you and your passengers are safe, call 911 and calmly wait for any police or emergency personnel to arrive at the scene. Once the police and emergency officials have arrived at the scene of the accident, inform them of all areas of injury. Allow yourself to be examined by emergency medical personnel and go to the hospital for a full examination if recommended.
- When talking to the police or other drivers, don’t admit fault. It may be used against you. There are many circumstances that can cause an accident, and you may not be fully aware of all of them. You need legal advice.
- File an accident report, providing the police with your license, registration and insurance information along with a description of the accident and all helpful information pertaining to what happened.
- Exchange all necessary information with the other driver or drivers involved in the accident, including names, addresses and insurance information. Also be sure to collect the names and addresses of all witnesses to the accident.
- After the accident scene has been cleared, notify your insurance company, but do not give a recorded statement without first getting legal advice.
- Even if you are only shaken up, do not deny injury at the scene. Insurance companies will use a denial against you.
- Contact one of our Florida lawyers to fully understand your legal rights for personal injury compensation and property damage.
For more information, or if you or a loved one has been injured in an auto accident, contact Anderson & Anderson online or call 813-251-0072 for a free case evaluation.
- Personal Injury
- Car Accidents
- Truck Accidents
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Broken Bones
- Bus Accidents
- Construction Accidents
- Dog Bites
- Medical Malpractice
- Nursing Home Abuse
- Premises Liability
- Product Liability
- Sexual Abuse
- Wrongful Death
- Work Injuries